Shumenov and promoter part ways
LAS VEGAS (November 1, 2011) - World Boxing Association ("WBA") and International Boxing Association ("IBA") light heavyweight World champion Beibut Shumenov andGoossen Tutor Promotions have settled their lawsuit and the disputes between them. They have agreed that their Promotional Contract is terminated and have amicably parted ways.
Article posted on 02.11.2011
Shumenov (12-1, 8 KOs), a 2004 Kazakhstan Olympian, is promoted by Las Vegas-based KZ Event Productions, which is owned and operated by the Shumenov brothers, Beibut and Chingis.
"I want to fight the best to be considered the best 175 pounder in the world," Shumenov said. "I've heard that (Nathan) Cleverly, who won the WBO title after (Juergen) Braehmer was stripped, and (IBF champion Tavoris) Cloud have mentioned my name, but, truth be told, we have never been contacted by either one of their promoters to unify.
"All of these guys talking about unifying, well, if they really want to make it happen, all they have to do is contact us. I told Pascal that I'm from Kazakhstan, he lives in Canada; so, we should fight in the capital of boxing, Las Vegas. Same goes for Cleverly, who is from the United Kingdom.
"I'm getting ready and looking forward to a fresh New Year. Hopefully, one of the other light heavyweight world champions will put his title belt on the line against mine in a unification fight in 2012. "
Shumenov set a light heavyweight record for capturing a world title in the fewest career fights, 10, when (Jan. 29, 2010) he won a 12-round decision against Gabriel Campillo in Las Vegas. In three successful world title defenses, Shumenov won a unanimous 12-round decision versus No. 1 mandatory challenger and previously undefeated Viacheslav Uzelkov (UDEC12), followed by a six-round knockout of three-time world champion William Joppy (KO6), and then his victory in July by ninth-round TKO versus three-time world title challenger Danny Santiago.
"We keep hearing and reading about all these offers made to Beibut," noted Hall of Fame promoter Don Chargin, who serves as Shumenov's advisor. "We've only talked with Pascal, who was told that Beibut would fight him at a neutral site. I intend to reach out to Cleverly's promoter, Frank Warren, to see if they're serious about fighting a unification with Beibut. He is ready, willing and able to fight Cleverly. We won't turn down a fair deal with any of the other world champions.
"Over the years, I've worked with many different people in this business, and Beibut is an absolute joy to be with and always a pleasure. Nobody trains harder than Beibut and he's improving every day. Our goal in 2012 is to go after all of the world champions who've said they made offers to fight Beibut. We hope something happens in that respect. After Beibut makes a title defense in Las Vegas, I'd love to see him defend his title before 50,000-60,000 in Kazakhstan. Beibut will never stop trying to unify the world light heavyweight title."
In only 13 pro fights, Beibut has defeated four world champions (Campillo, Joppy, Byron Mitchell and Montell Griffin), as well as three world title challengers (Uzelkov, Santiago and Epifanio Mendoza
For additional information about Shumenov visit www.KZEventProductions.com.
Boyd Melson to fight November 17!
New York, NY (November 1, 2011) – Captain Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson of New York City will fight for a second straight time in the Garden State when he battles an opponent to be named in a six round junior middleweight contest Thursday, November 17 at North Bergen’s Schuetzen Park.
Tickets start at $55 and can be purchased on teamfighttowalk.com.
Melson, a West Point graduate and active Army Reserve officer, is fresh off a dominant six round decision over Russ Niggemyer and is aiming for his seventh victory in as many fights.
“The more I fight, the better I feel,” said Melson, who was on a three-year hiatus after a shoulder injury forced him to withdraw from being an alternate at the 2008 Olympics. “My performances have gotten better with each and every fight and I believe that fans will see my best showing to date come November 17.”
With America’s first clinical trial for Spinal Cord Injuries slated to take place in 2012, Melson’s entire purse will be donated to “Justadollarplease” in effort to help make the trial possible.
“There are so millions of Americans with Spinal Cord Injuries that could potentially walk again if the necessary research is conducted,” stated Melson. “There is minimal funding for Spinal Cord Injury research and we’re doing all that we can to help those in need. I believe that the outcome of this trial will have a historical impact for years to come much like when North Bergen’s very own James J. Braddock upset Max Baer for the heavyweight championship.”
In association with Justadollarplease, Melson created Team Fight to Walk, whose mission is to raise awareness within the boxing community about the importance of stem cell research for spinal cord injuries. Team Fight to Walk is comprised of Melson, former two-time cruiserweight champion Steve “USS” Cunningham, title contender DeAndre “The Bull” Latimore, Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana, 2008 US Olympian Shawn Estrada, and prospects Sid “The Messenger” El Harrak, Denis “Da Momma’s Boy” Douglin Frank Galarza, Vinny “The Lion” O’Brien Ahmed “Prince of Egypt” Samir and Delen “Sniper” Parsley.
Undefeated Alejandro Barrera ready for NABF belt
By Pepe Rodriguez / WBC, Born in Monterrey, Mexico, Alejandro "El Elegido" Barrera will fight for the vacant welterweight NABF title on the undercard of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Kermit Cintron next November 26 in Mexico City.
With a professional record of 18 wins, zero losses and 15 knockouts, Barrera is the new rough diamond of "Canelo Promotions", and with a height of six feet and an excellent boxing technique, this great Mexican fighter promises to give a lot of surprises in the near future.
At this time, "El Elegido", is training hard to close 2011 with a victory which took him to the top of the World Boxing Council (WBC) world rankings, and so in the not too distant future, come to contend for the absolute world title, which now belongs to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
In this great event, organized by Canelo Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions, Alejandro Barrera will share the ring with the world ranked number 4 in the lightweight division, Daniel “El Tremendo” Estrada, and the undefeated and great promise of boxing in the middleweight division, Gilberto "El Zurdo" Ramirez.
previous article: Bute-Johnson, Green-Demers on Saturday
next article: Sergei Liakhovich Trains With Floyd Mayweather Sr.; Arreola visits Basilica de Guadalupe
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top