DeGale and Groves in action on 12/9; Roy Jones Jr. faces Alexander on December 10; Price-McDermott rescheduled for 1/21
Rival super-middleweights George Groves and James DeGale will joint-headline a big fight card at the ExCeL London on Friday 9th December, LIVE and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Platform Ch. 456).
Article posted on 10.11.2011
Big-hitting Groves defends his British and Commonwealth titles, while all-action DeGale will put his World Boxing Organization (WBO) Intercontinental title on the line. Opponents for both will be announced shortly.
Hammersmith Groves - who beat DeGale in the amateurs - inflicted the first loss on Olympic champion DeGale's pro career in a close and controversial points win in May at the O2 Arena and are again on a collision course for a third meeting.
Each fighter has gone their own way for now, Groves took his record to 15-0 with a stunning second round KO win over former British champion Paul Smith at Wembley Arena on Saturday night.
While DeGale, from Harlesden, won the European and WBO Intercontinental titles last month in Liverpool against tough Pole Piotr Wilczewski.
Groves said, "I signed with Frank to keep busy and it is great that he's got me out once more before the end of the year and I can then look at an active 2012,"
"I'm looking to put on an exciting and explosive performance for the fans' and BoxNation viewers' as I did against Smith on Saturday night at Wembley and show that I'm a true world class potential,"
"DeGale can say what he wants, but he knows the job I did on Smith in two rounds was more clinical and devastating than what he did in nine rounds,"
"If he wants a long career, the last thing he wants to do is fight me again, I've beat him twice, once more and that's the end of him."
DeGale said, "I won the European and WBO Intercontinental titles on my return and I'm still on course for a world title fight next year,"
"I'll take Groves again at the drop of hat because I believe I beat him last time out, it was close, but I thought I won it,"
"I've got my own business to see to on December 9 and I'm just focused on improving with my trainer Jim McDonnell,"
"If he keeps winning and I keep winning then it's a massive fight that the public are going to want to see again."
Unbeaten Hatfield traveller Billy Joe Saunders, who claimed the Southern Area Middleweight title at Wembley last Saturday, will also feature on the card.
He said, "On BoxNation I'll have boxed in October, November and December which is great for my career."
"I won my first pro title and I'm looking forward to getting better and better with the more fights I'm having."
"Next year I'll be targeting the big three titles, the British, Commonwealth and European before I move on to the world scene."
A full undercard will be announced shortly.
Tickets priced at £40, £50, £80 and £100 are available (from Monday 10 November) from Ticketmaster on 0844 844 0444. Tickets are available now through www.frankwarren.tv
MAX ALEXANDER: ROY JONES JR. GOES IN SIX OR I'LL FORFEIT MY PURSE
Max Alexander understands his current place in the boxing world. Inactive for two years and without a win in his past six fights, few if any give him any chance at all of coming out on top in his December 10 showdown with the legendary Roy Jones Jr. at the Atlanta (GA) Civic Center.
For that very reason, Alexander didn’t hesitate to accept this assignment, one the cruiserweight views as the opportunity of a lifetime when he squares off against the 12-time world champion in four weight classes who is destined for the Boxing Hall of Fame.
Not only is the Camden (NJ)-based fighter confident of victory, he goes as far as to guarantee when the fight will end and literally willing to put his money where his mouth is.
“I have been working hard, training hard, and I will knock out Roy Jones, Jr. by the 6th round,” says Alexander (14-5-2, 2KO), who participated in Season Three of the boxing reality show ‘The Contender.’ “If I don’t KO him by 6th Rd I will forfeit my purse. Roy doesn’t stand a chance against me. I am 6’2” with a 76” reach and I have a right hand that will put Roy to sleep.”
Those who view Alexander as a ‘bum’ and a handpicked opponent for Jones – who has lost three straight - need to take a closer look before dismissing his chances.
Alexander is an accomplished amateur and who sprinted out to the tune of 14 straight wins to begin his pro career. Despite an unattractive mark of 0-5-1 in his last six bouts, Alexander has never been knocked out and has only been down once in his 22 fight career.
Originally from Camden, NJ, Alexander is now training out of Raleigh, North Carolina. Given what’s at stake in his next ring appearance, it goes without saying that this training camp has been strictly business, going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure victory.
“Three-a-days, four-a-days, even five-a-days - that’s how I am training, I am doing whatever I have to do to stop Roy Jones Jr.”
At stake in their 10-round main event is the UBO Inter-Continental Cruiserweight title.
Tickets are available on Ticketmaster.com. If you cannot be there live, the fight will be available via online pay-per-view on www.Ustream.com.
Check out www.kokings.net for more information on this promotion.
David Price v John McDermott Final eliminator clash has been rescheduled for January 21
Third Time Lucky
David Price v John McDermott Final eliminator clash has been rescheduled for January 21st at The Olympia Liverpool
Promoter Frank Maloney is attempting for the third time to put these two heavyweight giants in the ring together.
Due to both fighters receiving injury’s Maloney is looking to kick of the New Year with this Heavyweight barn buster, were the winner will earn a shot at British heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.
Maloney who is famous for guiding Britain's only undisputed Heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis to the top, has the same hopes and dreams for Liverpudlian David Price, and believes 2012 with see him rise to the top of the heavyweight pile.
“ I believe the Price Mcdermott fight will prove to the British public if David has the necessary armory to emulate Lennox Lewis”
Maloney also added “this shows the high regard that David has for John McDermott knowing that unless he is 100% on top of his games there is no way he would face a warrior like McDermott.
David Price added "I am absolutely disappointed and feel deflated that I had to withdraw from the fight, because I put so much time and effort into it. I feel like I let people down, but I am 100% focused on the tasked ahead".
Both fighters will be giving up their Christmas Festivities for a make or break fight on January 21st as they train hard over the holiday period.
Mcdermott is described as one of the most talented but also unluckiest men in boxing, most good judges believe and know McDermott clearly beat Tyson Fury only for the man in the middle to go against the public opinion.
Ticket Information: for fans who already purchased tickets for the show scheduled for November 19th can exchange for the new date from all tickets outlets.
For a special thank you for your patience you will be given a signed poster form the original fight available to collect on the night, please bring your old ticket.
previous article: Pacquiao-Marquez 24/7 episode 4 on Friday on HBO; Fury-Pajkic on Saturday
next article: David Price-John McDermott Pushed Back To January, Price Speaks On His Rib Injury