Olusegun wants title shot against Danny Garcia
New York, NY (3/24/2012) - Earlier tonight, Danny Garcia won a unanimous decision over Erik Morales to pick up the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) junior welterweight title, with scores of 118-111, 117-110, and 116-112. Watching closely from ringside was the WBC's undefeated mandatory challenger, Ajose Olusegun (30-0, 14KO's). Olusegun, who is co-promoted by DiBella Entertainment and Gary Shaw Productions, has been waiting for his shot at the title for some time now and wants to make it crystal clear that the wait is over and he is next in line.
Article posted on 25.03.2012
"I have waited for this opportunity for a lifetime, and I have done everything in my power to get a shot at a world championship," said Olusegun. "I am the mandatory challenger and I have been for a while now. I am tired of waiting for my shot. Garcia says that he is a true champion and a warrior? Then prove it by fighting me."
"Ajose should have fought for the WBC title tonight, but we are pleased that he will get the opportunity to win this coveted belt against Garcia/Morales. Pursuant to WBC rules, the green belt will soon be around Ajose's waist," said co-promoter Lou DiBella.
"Ajose has honorably earned the right to challenge the winner of Morales vs. Garcia for the WBC junior welterweight title," said Gary Shaw. "He's been waiting patiently for his opportunity to show the world why he's the best in the division. The time is now for Ajose to get his shot."
Olusegun earned his mandatory position by winning a dominant 12-round decision over Ali Cheebah back on September 30 of last year. The bout, which was shown live on SHOWTIME'sŪ ShoBox, saw Olusegun drop Cheebah (35-1) twice, before going on to win by scores of 120-106, and 119-117 twice.
previous article: Buckland Beats Truscott in Sheffield
next article: NBC Sports Network Fight Night Recaps