News: Saldivia Signs with Marvailla Box, Re-Signs with Sampson Boxing; Byarm-Abdusalamov on 7/6; Results from Thompson Boxing's Lock N Loaded card
Argentinean welterweight contender Hector "El Tigre" Saldivia (41-2, 32 KO) has signed a managerial agreement with middleweight champion Sergio Martinez's Maravilla Box and re-signed another long-term promotional agreement with promoter Sampson Lewkowicz of Sampson Boxing.
Article posted on 16.05.2012
The exciting 28-year-old Saldivia, from Comodoro Rivadavia, Chubut, Argentina, is a former WBA Fedelatin Welterweight Champion, currently rated #4 in the IBF and #15 in the WBC.
Saldivia is currently riding an eight-fight winning streak. As part of the Maravilla Box stable, Saldivia will now be trained by the mastermind behind so many of his fighters' success, super trainer Pablo Sarmiento.
"Now that he is with the best manager and trainer in boxing, it will be Hector's time to become champion," said the proud Lewkowicz. "We will be petitioning the IBF to fight an eliminator for the right to face the winner of the Mike Jones and Randall Bailey fight for the vacant title in June."
Byarm: “This is my shot at redemption”
Washington, DC (May 15, 2012) – Like most professional boxers, heavyweight Maurice “Freight Train” Byarm never thought about what it’d be like to lose.
The Washington, DC based Philadelphian stopped 9 of his first 13 opponents and was named one of the best prospects in the beltway region. Still, Byarm, who had less than 15 amateur fights, was learning on the job. Between his work ethic and sparring quality fighters such as Tony Thompson, Byarm made notable improvements with every fight. In his final bout of 2011, the crowd-pleasing 29-year-old stopped veteran Clinton Boldridge in 74 seconds and planned to step up the competition.
Earlier this year, Byarm got his opportunity; albeit under far different circumstances than he imagined.
On January 21 before a nationally televised audience on the NBC Sports Network, Byarm dropped a competitive decision to fellow American heavyweight Bryant Jennings in a bout that both men took on five days notice. The loss was unexpected, but he considered it a learning experience.
“The Jennings fight taught me that I had to be more patient and stick to my game plan,” said Byarm. “I wanted to impose my will on him but his defense and movement were very good and I didn’t make the adjustments my team discussed.”
Luckily, Byarm can prove that he’s amongst America’s top heavyweights when he challenges highly touted Magomed Abdusalamov at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV Friday, July 6 on ESPN 2’s Friday Night Fights. Like Jennings, Abdusalamov is yet to taste defeat, winning all 14 of his bouts by knockout. The 6’3 Russian’s last three opponents were a combined 34-1 and his most recent victory, a four round destruction of previously unbeaten Jason Pettaway, earned him the WBC USNBC title.
“He’s a decent fighter but I’ve seen a lot of flaws,” Byarm said of Abdusalamov. “I’m going to fight my fight and we’ve got a good game plan this time around. His record and knockouts don’t’ mean much to me because he hasn’t fought anybody of my caliber. He has punching power but I have punching power too. I know my will to win this fight is much higher than his. This will be my shot to show the world what I truly have to offer!”
The 10-round southpaw showdown between Byarm and Abdusalamov is promoted by Greg Cohen Promotions and Sampson Boxing.
Fans can interact with Byarm by visiting Facebook.com/maurice.byarm and for more information on his July 6 bout, go to Gcpboxing.com or Hardrockhotel.com.
RESULTS FROM THOMPSON BOXING'S MAY 11 "LOCKED N' LOADED" CARD!!
Martinez triumphs over Marks, Amador wins Quintana and Romero outclasses Landeros!
ORANGE, CA (May 14) - Last Friday Thompson Boxing Promotions featured two main events that included Martinez (17-1-1, 4 KOs) versus Marks (8-4, 8 KOs) and a female bout between undefeated junior flyweight boxers Sindy Amador and Amaris Quintana.
In the main event of the even East L.A.'s Aron Martinez faced Colorado's tough Joshua "Superman". The competitive fight went to the seventh round when Martinez landed a right uppercut, left hook combination that sent Marks to the canvas.
In the co-main event junior flyweights Sindy Amador (8-0) of Riverside was judged the winner over San Diego's Amaris Quintana (6-1-2) in a six round back and forth battle that went the distance. All three judges favored the inside flurries 59-55 twice and 58-56 for Amador.
Amador and Quintana giving it their all in the ring.
Opening for the featured fights was Colombia's Jhonatan "Momo" Romero (21-0, 12 KOs) who battled the rugged Adolfo Landeros (20-24-2, 10 KOs). The fight went the entire eight rounds and showcased Romero's speed and reflexes as he pummeled Landeros throughout. In round three Romero nearly forced a stoppage, but Landeros was able to evade the killing blow. One judge scored it 80-72 and two others 80-71 for Romero.
Scheduled to fight on the June 23 edition of Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo" Rico "Suavecito" Ramos posed against his opponent Jhonathan "Momo" Romero and promoter Ken Thompson.
San Fernando's Rigoberto "Asesino" Flores (4-1, 2 KOs) upset undefeated Pedro Arcos (12-1-1, 9 KOs) with a withering attack that overwhelmed the junior welterweight fighter from Tijuana. After a good first round Arcos couldn't sustain his energy level and that was right up Flores's alley. He fought non-stop and landed uppercuts and left hooks that turned around the fight in his favor. All three judges scored it for Flores, 58-56, 60-54 and 59-55.
Their first fight ended in a draw, this fight was won emphatically by Sergio Nuñez (6-0-1, 4 KOs). Santa Ana's Ramon Flores (3-15-2) and Sylmar's Nuñez fought 18 months ago at Chumash Casino. This time Nuñez sent Flores through the ropes with a crushing right cross, and when he beat the count, another flurry of blows ended the fight by technical knockout at 2:40 of the first round. Nuñez remains undefeated.
Riverside's Juan Reyes (5-1-1) battered Pablo Cupul (2-5-2) for three rounds non-stop until referee Lou Moret stopped the fight. Cupul protested the stoppage but was taking a lot of blows though he was never close to going down. The one-sided bantamweight fight was stopped at 2:46 of round three.
San Pedro's Isaac Zarate (3-0) pounded through Gus Rojas' (0-2) defense for all four rounds of a bantamweight fight. The southpaw was the quicker fighter and all three judges scored it 40-36 in his favor.
Enjoy the fistic action next month on Friday, June 22 when Thompson Boxing Promotions returns to Doubletree Hotel in Ontario!
previous article: Edwin Rodriguez ready to replace Dirrell to face Sjekloca for vacant WBC 168lb title
next article: Kell Brook: Carson Jones won't make it to the 12th
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top