Carl Froch’s Right Hand Is Fine, “The Cobra” Says He’ll Resume Training In Two Weeks
By James Slater - The boxing world is still buzzing after British hero Carl Froch’s sensational stoppage win over the previously unbeaten and highly-ranked Lucian Bute. Experts and pundits such as Glenn McCrory and Steve Bunce have written pieces in which they rightly make the case for “The Cobra” being ranked right up there amongst the greatest British fighters of all-time.
Article posted on 29.05.2012
High praise indeed, but Froch, a three-time world champion who holds wins over Bute, Arthur Abraham, Jermain Taylor, Jean Pascal, Andre Dirrell, Glen Johnson and others, deserves it. Really, Froch’s truly impressive quality of back-to-back opposition is enough to have made him special. But Froch is not done yet. Claiming after Saturday’s win that he feels as young and as full of energy as ever, the 34-year-old is already looking ahead to his next big fight or fights.
For Froch, the only slight concern after the 5th-round hammering of southpaw Bute was a sore right hand. Moments ago, however, Froch wrote on his official Twitter page that: “Just been to hospital and the x-ray on my right hand has come back clear. I will resume training in two weeks..”
This is good news indeed: for Froch fans and for all fans of exciting fights and great match-ups. For although right now Froch would be more than entitled to look for a “safe” first defence of his new title, this is just not “The Cobra’s” style. Never looking for the easy path, the Nottingham warrior says he “doesn’t do warm-ups,” and he “doesn’t do easy fights.” Rest assured, Froch will not change just because he’s made a piece of boxing history.
Two weeks and back in training after the biggest win of his pro career? Froch would have been entitled to rest up, celebrate and take it easy for a whole lot longer than that, but no, he’s apparently anxious to get back in the gym. Maybe Froch has made some sort of decision as to who he will fight, or who he wants to fight, next. A return with great Dane Mikkell Kessler seems to be the obvious choice; with a number of fans writing so on this very web site. The two warriors who have so much respect for one another gave us a classic back in April of 2010, in Denmark. Froch deserves a part-2 to be held in his homeland.
Of course, Bute does have that rematch clause, with a second fight his for the taking in Canada. But will the 32-year-old want it, if not immediately, then at all? Kelly Pavlik is also very keen on taking on the new IBF 168-pound king; maybe he will land the fight?
Kessler looks the natural fight to be made, though - and if Froch can gain revenge over the fighter who became the first man to beat him, by close, fiercely-fought slugfest, his place amongst the best of British will be cemented even further.
previous article: Jean Pascal Congratulates Carl Froch
next article: UK Boxing: Adam Etches; Richard Towers; Martin Murray