Selcuk Aydin: "Robert Guerrero has no idea what's coming for him!"; Sergio Mora vs. Brian Vera
World Boxing Council (WBC) Silver world welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin held a press conference at the Ciragan Palace Kempinski hotel in Istanbul to talk about his July 28th world championship bout against Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero.
Article posted on 15.06.2012
"I have waited for three years for a big fight and I am very happy that I finally get the chance to show the world what I’m made of on July 28th", said Aydin. "I always said that I would fight anybody. Unfortunately, that doesn’t count for a lot of fighters these days which is the main reason why I couldn’t get a big fight over the past years. I give props to Robert Guerrero for accepting to fight me. He is a three-division world champion and very obviously an excellent boxer. But he has just no idea what’s coming for him. He has never been in the ring with anybody as determined, powerful and heavy-handed as me. I will do what I have to do to take the world championship belt home to Turkey."
Added promoter Ahmet Oner: "We have been working very hard to get this fight on the way. Now it’s all in Selcuk’s hands. This is a very special moment and a once in a lifetime opportunity. No Turkish boxer has ever had such an important and big fight in the USA. It’s Selcuk’s chance to make himself a big name all over the world. Of course, especially after last weekend I am a little bit worried about the scoring of the bout. I just hope that we will have neutral officials. But then again Selcuk knows exactly that it’s always hard to win a decision in your opponent’s backyard. I am pretty sure that he will not try to steal rounds – he will go for the KO because the only thing on his mind is winning this fight!"
Aydin already started training camp in Stuttgart (Germany) five weeks ago where he is working with champion coach Conny Mittermeier. At the end of June he will move camp to California to get adjusted to the time change and weather conditions.
"This fight is so important that we cannot take any chances or make any mistakes", says Oner. "We have to make sure that Selcuk has the best training camp and preparation possible because he needs to be in the best possible shape when he steps into the ring."
Aydin himself, a former WBC international and European champion, is sure that he will take home the victory: "So far training camp is excellent. I feel that I am already in great shape and I will clearly have no weight issues whatsoever. I heard that Robert Guerrero already talks about possible fights with Juan Manuel Marquez and Floyd Mayweather. He can dream about all these big fights as long as he wants to – I will even help him by sending him to sleep so he can dream a little more. I respect Guerrero for all he has done and achieved so far but his way ends on July 28th in San Jose. I suggest he goes back to light- or featherweight and leaves the big guys to someone who can actually handle them."
Oscar de la Hoya & Jesse James Leija To Host San Antonio Press Conference To Announce Brian Vera vs. Sergio Mora II - 12:30 p.m. CT
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
FORMER BOXING SUPERSTARS OSCAR DE LA HOYA & JESSE JAMES LEIJA TO HOST SAN ANTONIO PRESS CONFERENCE TO ANNOUNCE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED REMATCH BETWEEN TOP-RATED MIDDLEWEIGHT CONTENDER BRIAN VERA & FORMER WORLD CHAMPION SERGIO MORA FOR THE VACANT NABO MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
VERA-MORA II SET FOR AUGUST 11 AT THE ILLUSIONS THEATER AT THE ALAMODOME IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS WHICH WILL BE BROADCAST LIVE ON TELEFUTURA'S
"SÓLO BOXEO TECATE"
FRIDAY, JUNE 15 AT 12:30 P.M. CT
WHO: BRIAN VERA, Top-Rated Middleweight Contender
SERGIO MORA, Former World Champion
OSCAR DE LA HOYA, President of Golden Boy Promotions
JESSE JAMES LEIJA, President of Leija & Battah Promotions
President of Golden Boy Promotions Oscar de la Hoya and President of Leija & Battah Promotions Jesse James Leija will host a press conference at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas to announce the highly anticipated rematch between top-rated middleweight contender Brian Vera (20-6, 12 KO's) of Lubbock, Tex. and former World Champion Sergio "The Latin Snake" Mora (23-2-2, 7 KO's) of East Los Angeles, Calif. in a 12-round fight for the vacant NABO Middleweight on Saturday, August 11 at the Illusions Theater at the Alamodome which will be televised live on TeleFutura's "Sólo Boxeo Tecate."
Alamodome - Field Level
100 Montana St.
San Antonio, TX 78203
Media parking will be available in Parking Lot A located on the south side of the Alamodome. Media should enter through the loading dock tunnel, also located on the south side of the Alamodome, onto the playing field.
WHEN: Friday, June 15
12:30 p.m. CT - Media Arrival/Lunch
1:30 p.m. CT - Press Conference Begins
Vera vs. Mora II, a 12-round fight for the vacant NABO Middleweight title set for Saturday, August 11 at the Illusions Theater at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and Leija & Battah Promotions and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate. TeleFutura will broadcast the fight beginning at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT.
Tickets, priced at $100, $75, $55, $45, $35 and $20, will go on sale this Friday, June 15 at 12:00 p.m. CT and will be available for purchase at the Alamodome box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com and via Ticketmaster charge-by-phone lines at (800) 745-3000.
Two of Warriors Boxings Young Prospects in Action Tonight
Two of Warriors Boxing's most promising young fighters will be in action tonight (Friday, June 15) on the undercard of the "Guaynabo Hot Boxing Series" card at Mario 'Quijote' Moráles Coliseum in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico.
Lightweight Jorge "Machito" Maysonet Jr. (6-0 5 Kos) and Roberto Acevedo (4-0, 3 KOs) will both see action on a card headlined by undefeated José 'Sniper' Pedraza (8-0, 6 KOs) in a tough eight-round super featherweight test against Carlos "Special Edition" Claudio (14-6-3, 6 KOs).
Maysonet, of Cataño, Puerto Rico, will take on Bayamon's Orlando Falcon in a lightweight six-rounder and super middleweight Roberto Jose Acevedo of Bayamon will face fellow Puerto Rican Daniel Rodríguez in a four-rounder.
22-year-old Maysonet was a highly decorated amateur and is the son of former world title challenger Jorge Luis Maysonet. As a professional, the powerful youngster hasn't seen the second round in five fights.
25-year-old Acevedo was born in Miami, but grew up in Bayamon. As an amateur, he was 50-1, 20 KOs, qualified for the Puerto Rico National Olympic team and was a three-time Puerto Rican Regional and two-time Puerto Rican National champion. As a professional, he has been extremely impressive in his first four fights.
"Both these young fighters are developing well and are working hard at their craft. I expect big things from both of them tonight and in the not-so-distant future," said Leon Margules, President of Warriors Boxing.
Jorge Maysonet is co-promoted by Warriors Boxing, Gary Shaw Productions and Universal Promotions.
The gates at the Mario "Quijote" Moráles Coliseum will open at 6:30pm. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.com or by calling (787) 792-5000.
One dollar for every ticket sold will be donated to the cancer treatment of Hilda Espada.
previous article: News: Chavez Jr. vs. Lee live on BoxNation Saturday; The Fight Game With Jim Lampley Returns This Saturday
next article: Broner-Escobedo quotes; Shamrock and Rumble; Bam on Boxing - Chambers-Adamek, Pacquiao-Bradley