Maidana not in the running for Canelo Alvarez bout
By Rob Smith: Marcos Maidana (31-3, 28 KO's) took the time on Friday to quash a rumor that had been floating around the internet that he was going to be the next opponent for WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez on September 15th. Maidana, however, said he's not been asked to take the fight by Golden Boy Promotions, but he's very much interested in facing Alvarez..
Article posted on 30.06.2012
Maidana said on his twitter "Clarifying rumors: One week ago I asked for Canelo Alvarez as a foe since I've got faith in myself. But Golden Boy never offered it. That's all. I'm a person who listens to advice. Many [people] told me Canelo is too big for me, and I've accepted it. End of story."
Alvarez's options seem to have been narrowed to the winner of Saturday's fight between IBF 154 pound champion Cornelius Bundrage and Cory Spinks. It seems that Golden Boy Promotions, the promoters for the 21-year-old Alvarez, want him to win another title in the same weight class so that it gives Alvarez more credibility for those who care such things as multiple titles. Golden Boy might be better off making Alvarez a star by putting him in with the best available fighter rather than picking out a paper champion to pick up a title that doesn't hold much weight.
As bad as Maidana would seem to be for Alvarez, Bundrage isn't much better. That's not an exciting opponent and beating him won't do a who lot for Alvarez. He'd be better off ignoring that strap and facing guys like Erislandy Lara, Vanes Martirosyan or Sergiy Dzinziruk. Those are good opponents who would give Alvarez a good fight and maybe even beat him. That's perhaps precisely why they won't get chosen unfortunately.
previous article: Jason Estrada`s Climb To The Top Of The Heavyweight Division
next article: Oosthuizen vs. Bryant on August 2nd; Gomez-De Los Santos on Saturday