Witter on the box
07.09.05 - British, Commonwealth and European light welterweight champion Junior Witter is set to make two appearances on TV over the coming weeks. First up, the Bradford switch hitter goes in to the BBC studios this Thursday to participate in an episode of Question of Sport that will be shown over the coming month. He will feature on Rugby World Cup winner Matt Dawson’s team alongside Everton striker James Beattie..
Article posted on 07.09.2005
Then, at 1am on Wednesday September 28th, Witter’s outstanding win over the world class Lovemore N’Dou will be shown in full on Channel 5’s fight of the week.
The contest stole the show on a big night of boxing in Los Angeles back in February headlined by Howard Eastman’s challenge to then undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins.
“I am delighted that a wider audience will now get to see my win in America earlier this year,” said Witter on hearing the news.
“I feel it really showed what I am all about. It was certainly one of the best performances of my career.
“N’Dou had never been put down in his career – even though he has boxed several top class contenders, including world champion Miguel Cotto – but I floored him heavily twice.
“Then I came on strong down the stretch, despite fracturing my hand in the early rounds, to secure a comfortable points decision.”
With the impressive win Witter moved into the top three of all the governing bodies rankings. He is highest placed with the WBC, who recently installed him as their number one contender to pound for pound contender ‘Pretty Boy’ Floyd Mayweather.
“Given my position in the ratings, one of the genuine champions will have to fight me sooner rather than later,” Witter explained.
“My preference would be to meet Mayweather, as he is the best in the division and I want to prove I am the best by beating the best. He also holds the prestigious WBC belt.”
Rumours have been circulating that Witter may be about to face another of the division’s champions.
Several pundits have put his name in the frame as a late replacement for Gianluca Branco, who has recently withdrawn from his scheduled challenge to WBO kingpin Miguel Cotto on September 24th in Atlantic City.
Whilst, however, Witter was asked whether he would consider taking the fight, it was never a serious possibility.
“Neither my training team the Ingles, my promoter Hennessy Sports, my co-promoter in America Oscar de la Hoya, or myself thought I should face Cotto on just a few weeks notice,” Witter said.
“At this stage of my career I don’t need to take last minute jobs.
“I have earned the right to challenge for a genuine world title on my terms.
“I am the number one contender to one of the best fighters in the world.
“And I am confident that the WBC will do the right thing by me and make me their mandatory.
“When my time does come I want to be in the shape of my life.
“I want a suitable amount of time to train so that I can ensure that I take my opportunity in style. I will leave no stone unturned.
“With the right preparation I can knock out any of the world champions in the division.”
previous article: Dimitrenko to fight Bean on Brewster-Krasniqi undercard
next article: Mundine stops Matumla, targets Green
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top