CES Kicks Off 2006 With A Star-Studded Holiday Party!
23.01.06 – New England boxers, media, boxing fans & supporters all gathered in numbers around 400 at Pearl Restaurant on Charles Street in Providence this past Wednesday for an exciting party to kick off the 2006 season for CES. In attendance were most of CES’ stars as well as a special phone-in visit from Contender Peter Manfredo, Jr. and a special live appearance from Contender Alfonso Gomez..
Article posted on 24.01.2006
“We wanted to have an exciting party to celebrate what we did in 2005 and get everyone ready for a big 2006,” said CES President Jimmy Burchfield. “Having all of our fighters here along with some of our very special guests really contributed to make this a great night for everyone.”
Locals in attendance included IWBF world lightweight champion Jaime “The Hurricane” Clampitt, who along with CES’ official doctor Dr. Steven Margles, used this party as a way to announce that her left hand is ready to begin light hitting. According to Dr. Margles, this is a very fast recovery for the type of surgery that was performed. Also attending the event were WBC U.S. super middleweight champion Joey “The KO Kid” Spina, WBC U.S. cruiserweight champion Matt “Too Smooth” Godfrey, IWBF featherweight champion Missy Fiorentino, 2004 U.S. Olympic super heavyweight Jason “Big Six” Estrada, featherweight prospect Matt Remillard, Bobo “The Bull” Starnino and Eddie Soto.
“Both Matt’s and Jason will be in action February 12th, but you can bet to see all of these fighters in the ring soon,” said Burchfield. “2006 will be a big year for all of our fighters. There are many big things in the works with Joey Spina, so stay tuned as he will be back better than ever in 2006.”
In addition to celebrating the New Year, the party was a great way to kick off the promotion of The Contender event at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Downtown Providence on February 12th. The highlights of the evening came when the main event fighter for the Feb. 12th show, Peter Manfredo, Jr., called in from his training camp in California.
“I am training hard and I am coming to win this fight for all of my fans in Providence,” said Manfredo, via phone. “I know it will be a great night and I am looking forward to having all of my fans pack the Dunkin Donuts Center. I will tell you all that I am gonna kick Scott Pemberton’s ass. I know him well and I know that he cannot compete with me.”
While Manfredo may be the headline attraction, the headline attraction Wednesday night was fellow Contender Alfonso Gomez, who will be fighting in the co-feature on February 12th. Gomez made a great sacrifice in breaking his training camp in California to come to Rhode Island for a couple of days to help promote the event. He gave a speech to the crowd and than graciously took pictures with many at the event.
“Everyone in Rhode Island had been great,” said Gomez, who has a record of 14-3-1, 5 KO’s. “I was a bit nervous coming to Rhode Island since I was the one to defeat Peter Manfredo in the first round of the Contender. But, everyone has been awesome and I cannot wait to fight here February 12th. I just hope that everyone comes out to see me because I guarantee that I will put on a tremendous show.”
Gomez was 3-1 on the Contender, defeating Manfredo and also losing to him. He has since moved down from the 158 lbs. weight class which the show was contested at, and has resumed fighting at his natural weight of 147 lbs.
In the main event on February 12th, Providence’s Peter Manfredo, Jr. looks to turn his career around with a win over former world title challenger Scott “The Sandman” Pemberton (29-4-1, 24 KO’s). Manfredo was 21-0 when he entered the Contender, but has gone just 3-3 since, including two losses to Contender champion Sergio Mora, the second of which was very controversial. Pemberton is coming off a knockout loss to IBF world super middleweight champion Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy.
“This is the ultimate crossroads fight,” said Jimmy Burchfield, whose CES company along with The Contender & ESPN is promoting the event. “The winner of this fight gets his career rejuvenated; the loser is going to have to take a serious look at doing something other than boxing. This, coupled with the fact that we have a true neighborhood war, makes this a very intriguing fight. We also have a tremendous undercard planned where every local fighter is being put to the test.”
Featured on the undercard will be four exciting bouts. One will feature Miguel Espino (10-2-1, 4 KO’s), another Contender, taking on tough veteran Dorian Beupierre (12-4-2, 6 KO’s). In addition two of Providence’s rising stars will be featured in six rounders as Jason “Big Six” Estrada (5-0, 1 KO) takes on former world rated contender Yanqui Diaz (13-3, 8 KO’s) and Matt “Too Smooth” Godfrey (10-0, 5 KO’s) battles former champion Ernest “M-16” Mateen (28-11-3, 10 KO’s). Rounding out the card will be a six rounder featurinig hot featherweight prospect Matt Remillard (6-0, 5 KO’s) in his first six round fight.
Tickets for The Contender Special - East Coast Pride are now available for purchase through CES Boxing at (401) 724-2253, (401) 724-2254, www.cesboxing.com and Ticketmaster direct at all local Ticketmaster outlets or by calling (401) 331-2211 or (617) 931-2000. Tickets are also available through the Dunkin Donuts Center Box Office.
The Contender is an unscripted drama about the lives, fears and hopes of 16 professional boxers as they compete for the chance to change their lives and the lives of the people they love forever. The Contender will air July 2006 under the ESPN Original Entertainment (EOE) banner and be executive produced by Mark Burnett (Survivor, The Apprentice, Rock Star:INXS), Jeffrey Katzenberg and Sylvester Stallone. For more information visit www.espn.com.
previous article: Pacquiao - Morales: Is Manny That Good or is Erik "Over-the Hill?"
next article: Pacquiao Too Much For Morales
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top