Lopez and Bradley Return Feb. 17
Orange, CA – Young prospects Josesito Lopez and Timothy Ray Bradley Jr. will be featured on the first Thompson Boxing Promotions event of 2006 planned for Friday, February 17, at the Doubletree Hotel, Ontario. “We are thrilled to kick off our busy year with two championship co-main events,” said promoter Ken Thompson. “These young fighters will thrill all those attending.”
Article posted on 31.01.2006
Josesito Lopez, (15-1, 9 KOs) will fight for the vacant WBC Mundo Hispano Intercontinental Lightweight title against rough Roberto “Sugar” Ventura (12-3, 8 KOs) in a 10-round battle.
Lopez, who injured his left hand on September 2005, will move up in weight while he still holds the WBC Mundo Hispano and WBC Youth Super Featherweight belts. “This is an important move in my career and another chance to showcase my talent,” said Josesito from his training camp in Riverside, CA. “I fought at the 135 weight limit before and I feel much stronger, I need to see if I will be campaigning at the weight from now on,” said Lopez who is no stranger in knocking out opponents with the added weight like he did to veteran Leonardo Resendiz in a 5th round stoppage last July 2005.
Lopez, who processes powerful hand speed and boxing skills, will not have an easy outing when he will face Roberto Ventura who previously fought for WBC junior titles unsuccessfully. It will be Ventura’s first bout in the United States and he is motivated to impress the crowd and derail the Lopez train.
“I am working hard to make this an easy fight,” said a confident Ventura. “I have fought tougher opposition and Lopez is not better than those guys,” concluded ‘Sugar,’ a nickname given to him since he was an amateur boxer.
The co-main event will feature a non-stop war between Timothy Ray Bradley Jr. (10-0, 5 KOs) and Carlos De La Cruz (8-4, 8 KOs). Bradley will defend his WBC Youth Welterweight title for the first time; he obtained the belt after a shout out decision over Mexican warrior Francisco Rincon, last September 2005.
“Desert Storm”, as Bradley is called is a top prospect since he fought in the amateurs and has become a main event attraction in Southern California. His relentless style and physique make up for his 5’ 6” frame. “I have been waiting for this fight since last September, this was my original opponent when I won the title and I guess he backed out,” said Bradley of the failed bout against De La Cruz last September. “He is crazy to take the chance and I hope he shows up this time.”
De La Cruz, on the other hand, is a powerful puncher who has never been in a dull fight. All his victories came by way of knockouts and he expects the same result against Bradley. “I had personal problems last year that did not allow me to concentrate on my career. I am in top condition now and I will beat Bradley,” said De La Cruz from McAllen, TX. De La Cruz recently lost to Felix Flores on a televised bout by way knock out. “That fight is in the past. I was in there with a guy with way more experience and Bradley is not at that level.”
These two championship bouts will headline an exciting “Path to Glory – The Wait is Over” which will also feature three more fights. Tickets are available for sale at a price of $75, $45, and $30 by calling 714.935.0900 or by visiting www.thompsonboxing.com. This exciting night of boxing will take place at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario. Doors to the Event Center will open at 6:30 p.m. with the first bout scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
previous article: Euro Boxing Roundup
next article: Why You Should Know Russell Jordan
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top