Jorge Paez jr. Off July 1 Card Due To Homeland Security
SAN DIEGO (June 30, 2006) - Jorge Paez Jr. will not be able to fight July 1 in Manistee, Mich., because he has been denied entry into the United States by the U. S. Department of Homeland Security it was announced today. The 18-year-old Paez Jr. attempted several times to gain admittance into the U.S. Thursday and Friday, but access was not granted, and it doesn’t appear as though that access will be forthcoming in time for him to participate in the bout.
Article posted on 01.07.2006
“We are sick about this,” said Scott Woodworth, vice president of Sycuan Ringside Promotions. “Everyone involved with this bout and card knows how long and hard we all worked to make this fight. Now, a case of mistaken identity prevents Paez Jr. from entering the United States in time to fight Saturday.
“But,” said Woodworth, “far be it for Sycuan Ringside Promotions to suggest that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is not doing its job. It is unfortunate for all concerned, especially Jorge Jr., but, I am certain that for every mistake made, countless persons are prevented from entering, and our country is the safer for it.”
Paez Jr. had been scheduled to meet Armand Horn in a six-round lightweight bout.
The undefeated lightweight sensation (9-0, seven KOs) from Mexicali, Mexico, is the son of “The Clown Prince of Boxing” and former featherweight world champion, Jorge Paez. The younger Paez, who goes by “El Maromerito,’’ had an amateur record of 77-3, including an exhibition win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., before turning pro Feb. 4, 2005.
previous article: Witherspoon, Pryor, Hearns and Paez To Be Featured This Weekend On Shobox
next article: Hearns - Hernandez, Witherspoon - Alexander, McGirt Jr. - Pryor: ShoBox Weigh-In Picture
Boxing Forum | Boxing | Bet On This Fight | Back To Top