10.11.06 - WBO World Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison has been handed a last minute lifeline that could see him finally defend his title against Nicky Cook at the ExCeL London on December 9. The Scottish two-time world champion has been languishing in Malaga's Alhaurin de la Torre jail since October 6 on alleged assault charges but was sensationally granted bail by the Spanish courts and will head back to Glasgow tomorrow (Saturday.).
Promoter Frank Warren withdrew the Harrison-Cook title fight from his big end-of-the-year show earlier this week but he will now hold talks with the World Boxing Organisation about re-instating the fight on the card.
"It's fantastic news to hear that Scott is out on bail and is heading home to Glasgow. The important factor is to first make sure that he is mentally and physically fit to box on December 9 and if that is cleared then I will discuss with the WBO about looking to get his fight against Cook back on the show." Said Warren.
Harrison's manager Barry Hughes, who worked tirelessly to secure his release, said, "I was never going to give up hope despite the considerable pressure I was under. I'm just delighted that all the hard work has paid off and he has finally been granted bail and will be out of prison. Contrary to some reports, Scott has not been stripped of his world title by the WBO and, providing that Scott clears any medical examinations, we hope that Frank can get his title defence against Cook back on again. He's been training hard in the jail by running, punching the bag and doing his floor work and his weight is fine. All he needs to do now is his sparring. Scott?s a hard person and this experience will have strengthened him mentally and physically."