Boxing


Haye vs. Maccarinelli set for April 7th

04.01.07 - By Mark Pickering: As negotiations for a blockbuster domestic cruiserweight clash pitting David Haye against Enzo Macarinelli appeared on the verge of meltdown last week, it has emerged that both parties have hammered out a deal for the popular pair to meet on April 7th at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. Team Haye offered Maccarinelli and promoter Frank Warren a fresh set of negotiations this week after the Welshman labelled the original £150,000 career high purse offer as derisory..

European champion and WBC no.2 ranked contender Haye made one last ditch attempt to save the dream clash with an improved offer and new set of terms, “We are now increasing that offer to £180,000.

“What he must remember is that when O'Neil Bell and Jean-Marc Mormeck competed in a unification fight in January 2006 they both got £103,000”, said the Hayemaker.

The Bermondsey fighter issued a statement of intent as he looked to lure the WBO Cruiserweight Champ into battle, "I've been dieting all through Christmas in the hope that this fight happens”.

“If it weren't for the fans demanding this match-up I wouldn't bother with it. I'm next in line for the WBC title, and, I'm sure most would agree, the WBO title is a major step down from the WBC championship”, the 18-1 (17) Haye said.

The 26-year-old looked to sweeten the proposition for the Swansea man, "The incentives are all in Enzo's favour.

“He has openly said he is chasing a fight with O'Neil Bell, and a win over me, with the rankings I have, would let him leapfrog the rest of the queue”, he added.

The Londoner was clear in announcing his motivation for extending the challenge, “Frank Warren tried to take the shine off my win over Giacobbe Fragomeni (in November) by saying I had dodged Maccarinelli and that his fighter would destroy me.

“As soon as I saw that I was determined to make the fight happen and prove him wrong. Warren clearly didn't expect that response. He just wanted to stick some throwaway lines in his newspaper column and hope it did the job (of discrediting Haye's career-best win over Fragomeni).

Terms for the hugely sought-after bout were concluded on Wednesday after a tumultuous string of negotiations.

The clash will provide a stellar precursor to the Joe Calzaghe’s homecoming, in the evening’s main event against “The Contender” runner-up, unfancied American Peter Manfredo Jr. live on ITV1.

Article posted on 04.01.2007



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Cleveland Heavyweight, Harry Terrell: A Tough Journeyman

next article: Kermit Cintron: A Golden Opportunity Missed




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on eastsideboxing.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2012 East Side Boxing.com - Privacy Policy l Contact